Sunday, September 28, 2014

the Bird D'pot

Red Tailed-hawk

 Flying high up in the sky. I'm always on the lookout for hawks while driving the back roads. Last weekend, I found this one. He would fly and land on an electric pole, but when I got close, he would take off again. This is the best I could do. 



And then there was this one....


During a Friday very late evening ramble, I saw this red tailed-hawk flying overhead. I stopped, but he saw me and took off down a dirt road, landing on this electric pole. Of course the sun was setting in the western sky so all I could get was a silhouette. As I got closer he took off across a field where only a 4 wheeler could go. 


Linking to the Bird D'pot


The Camera Club assignment for October is Odd/Quirky. Guess whose idea that was? Yep, mine! 



So I found this oddity back in the spring. I went back a couple weeks ago and took another shot. Which is your preference? The one from spring or summer?





Happy Sunday!

18 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Love the red-tailed hawk in flight. Awesome captures.. Neat silhouette too. The mug tree is cool, great find.. Enjoy your Sunday!

TexWisGirl said...

love the red-tail shots. summer for the mug tree! what a weird find!

LV said...

That is a new sight for me. I like the summer better. More bright and colorful.

Ginny Hartzler said...

A Mug Tree??? Never heard of it! I would never be able to let any of mine go! I will have to look this up and see what the deal is. I like the first one best because it is closer and I can see it better. Gorgeous hawk silhouette! And I love the way the sun is shining underneath the flying hawk.

Linda Kay said...

I so enjoy the raptors, and the red tailed hawk picture is excellent!

Anonymous said...

I love the hawk. I see them all over the U.S., when I truck with Bill. They are always a treat to watch.
I must say, I really like the mug tree, too!

Maude Lynn said...

Gorgeous shots of the hawk!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

That tree is awesome! I think I like the spring one best.

Rose said...

That hawk is sooo handsome! I just love them...

I saw this mug tree on google earth and hope to someday get down there. Tonight I like the summer one...asked me tomorrow and I might like the other version!

doodles n daydreams said...

I too enjoy looking for hawks when we're out driving, I almost stand on my head watching them as we go past, just as well I'm not the driver!
I like your summer shot best, love the bright colours.

Diana

Stephanie said...

I love the colored version, the last shot.

Anni said...

Love, love, LOVE the red tailed hawk images!!!

thanks for sharing your link of this extraordinary bird with I'd Rather B Birdin'!!!

EG CameraGirl said...

The first mug tree like that I've ever seen!

The first two photos show well why these hawks are called red-tailed hawks.

A Colorful World said...

I know what you mean about them flying away when you stop to get a photo! I've had that happen so many times! You got two wonderful flying shots showing that gorgeous red tail against a an azure sky! And the mug tree....that is incredibly weird! :-) Like the spring shot better, I think.

nookworm said...

The shadows on the mug tree perk it up and it is my favorite. The red tailed hawk is seen often in PA. Nice shots.

Gail Dixon said...

Nice flight shots of the beautiful Red-tailed Hawk. The mug tree is awesome. I love both, but like the lighter exposure on the Spring shot.

Unknown said...

How wonderful to see the hawk. The mug tree is cool. I think I like the spring shot more.

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

I'd be very happy if I captured a picture of a hawk like that! Love the mug tree; but what's it FOR?