Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Wild Turkey

It seems like I'm doing a lot of posts about alcoholic liquors—moonshine—and now wild turkey. I do know the names, even though I'm not much of a drinker. More than two drinks of anything and I'm under the table.

Hubs is a retired teacher. After being bored out of his mind for a few months, he took a part time job with Home Depot. What does that mean? He works every and I do mean EVERY weekend. I have been staying home while he is at work, but have had enough. When I was a single lady, I went places by myself all the time. So why not now? Do I think now that I'm married I can't do anything alone? I didn't make a new years resolution, but I'm now resolving to get out and go when Hubs is working. I already have a plan to visit my son in a couple of weeks, by myself. And there will be more plans this summer. Thus the trip to Moonshine last Saturday.

As I was driving down the road toward Moonshine, I saw turkeys in a clearing to my left. I quickly checked my rear view mirror and not seeing anyone about to rearend me, I slammed on the brakes. Now had I not been by myself I would never have gotten a pictureof these odd birds. I would have been yelling, "STOP!" until Hubs finally got 'er whoa'd about a quarter mile down the road.
Even with my quick reaction time, I was only able to get a couple of shots before they disappeared behind weeds and then into the woods.

Happy Wednesday!

Linking with Wild Bird Wednesday

18 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Glad that you're finding fun things while hubby is working. The turkey are beautiful!

Hootin Anni said...

My dad used to say "Wild Turkey" will rust your pipes. He'd prefer Jack Daniels. LOLOL

GREAT image. Those are pretty in the wild.

Jenn Jilks said...

Good work! And play!
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

TexWisGirl said...

just awesome! love their struts and their colors!

Jo said...

Oh those turkeys are strutting their stuff. Great capture. Thanks for visiting my blog today, Roan - I'm pleased to meet you.

Gail Dixon said...

I have always wanted to photograph these! You got a good one!

Unknown said...

Neat capture. It's fun to see wildlife and even more exciting to get a picture of them.

Enjoy your weekend adventures.

Anna said...

They are quite a sight, aren't they?! We seem to be having a banner year for turkeys...my husband even found a group of them up on our deck getting into the scattered sunflower seeds! Crazy :)

Molly the Airedale said...

Their colors are just beautiful! Great shot, BJ!

NatureFootstep said...

wow, those turkeys are really glossy. Think you got a good shot. :)

Brian King said...

That's a great shot, though! Nice motion and perfect background!

eileeninmd said...

Cool, they re strutting their stuff..Great shot!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i love turkeys - they are aplenty around here. so fun to listen too as well. ( :

Evelyn S. said...

We don't view wild turkeys very favorably....the Department of Wildlife :(re?)introduced wild turkeys to our area several years ago. Now we are overrun with them! They have moved into residential areas...my sister counted 150 of them in her backyard once. They scratch up the lawn, the flowers, everything...and they leave terrible droppings. We don't like wild turkeys! :-)

Carletta said...

We usually start seeing turkeys this time of year and I hope this one won't be any different.
I love that you had some great light to catch the glimmer of their colors.
Great shots!

thewovenspoke said...

great shot, I haven't seen wild turkeys in some time.

Anonymous said...

Fab photo. Love the turkey strut.

Unknown said...

Nice shot and quick reflex. Very cute.